Wednesday, December 9, 2009

When Chicago Weather Just Can't Make Up Its Mind



 One thing about living near and working in Chicago is that the weather is guaranteed to be interesting. From the time I left work to the time I got home last night, we had rain, sleet, winds, snow falling sideways, back to rain, resuming snow then sleet.  I felt guilty when I got home and decided to order in Chinese food so I tipped the driver extra for having to go out in this oddball sloppy mess.

Of course, everyone at work was jumping into panic mode all day, talking about the big storm that was going to hit and how they all had to leave right then and drive home to avoid it. Apparently my weather report was in a different parallel universe then theirs, as they were insisting we were getting 7 inches and I'd heard two. This is about the time I should explain that severe weather makes all of us at work pretty much revert back to our grade school days when we stand around hoping for a snow day so we can stay at home and watch TV all day. Last year was particularly hard on us as we missed pretty much every severe storm and therefore could not take the boss up on her offer to take the day off if the city was snowed in. At one point, she gave us a pity snow day when it really wasn't too bad just to shut us up for awhile.

But the weather is still nowhere near what most of the country and Canada has been getting so I can't complain. This is a shot of the braver ones venturing out from underneath the station awning and heading down the platform to get away from the crowd.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like Calgary - every different type of weather imaginable in a 4 hour span :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born and raised in Chicago, now live about 50 miles south and it was 3 degrees when I got up this morning at 6 am. Brrrr, it's cold, good for ice fishing though can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, I have an all new appreciation for what you went through the other day after this weather here.

    Diane, I grew up in Milwaukee but have lived in Chicago for the past 20 years. By now you'd think I'd get used to it. Brr indeed. But I do love how pretty the city looks after a fresh snow.

    ReplyDelete